Life without Mexican food is like no life at all. –Unknown
Agree?! To date, I haven’t met an individual that doesn’t like tex-mex! But you don’t have to go to the local Mexican restaurant to get your fix! This easy slow cooker recipe is so simple and delicious! By utilizing some pantry ingredients and your spice cabinet, you can throw this together in a matter of minutes! No crazy or expensive ingredients- just real food your family already loves!
My favorite way to eat this Tex Mex Slow Cooker Chicken & Black Beans is as a taco salad because it allows me to load on lots of veggies into 1 meal. But, if making tacos or enchiladas with it, try out my Mexican Cauliflower Rice so that your plate isn’t lacking veggies!
If you are always on the hunt for easy, family-friendly recipes that don’t disappoint, this is a must try!
Tex-Mex Slow Cooker Chicken & Black Beans
- 1.5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup salsa your favorite brand
- 15 oz can black beans low sodium, drained
- 1.5 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
In small bowl or ramekin, combine all spices.
Place chicken in slow cooker and sprinkle with seasoning. Top with beans and salsa.
Cook on low for 5-6 hours. Shred chicken before serving.
- Chicken breasts (skinless) can easily be substituted for the chicken thighs
- Double or triple this recipe to make enough to freeze for another family meal or send leftovers for the week
- I pureed the salsa because my husband doesn’t prefer chunks of onion and tomatoes, but this is completely unnecessary if your family likes salsa- save yourself the step!
Lower Sodium Options
- Choose no salt added beans OR compare brands as they will differ.
- Compare brands of salsa. While the general nutrition of most jarred salsa is the same, sodium is the one nutrient that often differs.
- Leave out the kosher salt altogether.
- Remember that some tex-mex toppings like cheese also have sodium.
Yummy Serving Ideas
Chicken Taco Salad- Place chicken and beans over a bed of romaine lettuce, tomatoes, black olives and top with a dollop of yogurt or sour cream and salsa!
Tacos- Serve in warmed whole grain flour or corn tortillas with your favorite toppings!
Enchiladas- Fill tortillas and then place in baking dish with enchilada sauce and cheese; serve with cilantro and a dollop of yogurt.
“Rice Bowl”- Place shredded chicken and beans over cooked cauliflower rice and top with cilantro and dollop of sour cream!
218 Calories; Fat 6g; Sat Fat 1.5g; Cholesterol 80mg; Sodium 548mg; Potassium 297 mg; Carbohydrate 18g; Fiber 4g; Sugar 3g; Protein 26g